Thursday, October 8, 2015

Married 'til Monday - Book Review - Fun, heart-melting and very real!




Back cover summary

With a big anniversary party in the works for her parents, Ryan will pretend to be Abby's husband for just one last weekend.

Ryan McKinley has tried to move on from his ex-wife, Abby. He's sulked, he's gotten angry, and ultimately he bought her dream house. Big mistake. Living alone in the massive 2-story has only made him miss her more. When her parents call him out of the blue about their anniversary party in Summer Harbor, Maine, Ryan believes God has dropped a golden opportunity straight in his lap.

Abby McKinley never exactly told her parents about the divorce. A strained relationship with her dad has culminated in a distant relationship with her parents, but she's finally succumbed to her mom's pressure to make the drive for their 35th-anniversary party.

Then Ryan shows up on her doorstep, looking as devastatingly handsome as ever. When he insists he's going to Seabrook, with or without her, Abby knows she can't say no. Her parents still think they're married and now Ryan knows it too. Besides, he only wants to check in with his best friend from college-her cousin Beau, who just lost his dad. It's just a one-week road-trip with the man who broke her heart. What could possibly go wrong?



My review

Reading the very first book in the Chapel Springs Romance series, Barefoot Summer, I was pretty curious about Ryan and the story surrounding his divorce. Even from book one where he only made a couple appearances, the eldest of the Mckinley children immediately catches your attention with his caring big brother nature. 

In Married 'til Monday, we see a different side to Ryan and get the juicy details to his story. He's not just the considerate big brother. But an absolutely fun-loving guy with struggling with a heartache. He never quite got over his divorce and definitely never got over his ex-wife Abby. He is quite the endearing character.  

I love how Denise Hunter not only tells the present story but also spontaneously takes us back to when Ryan and Abby first met in college, how he pursued her, how they got married. All of which was absolutely heart-warming. Some of the flashbacks very easily became some of my favorite parts of the story. 

Theirs is such a real story. It is really one I could understand and I could see any couple going through what they went through. Right from their happy marriage to their divorce. The reader easily understands and sympathizes with both (yes, both!) characters. The Mckinleys are very easy to view as the perfect family with perfect members but I appreciated the not-so-perfect reactions of Mrs. Mckinley and Ryan's siblings in certain parts of the book. To me, it just made it all that much more realistic.

My only slight complaint would be that I would have liked a conclusive confrontation with Abby's parents. A confrontation in which everything be brought out into the light. Simply just for someone to tell her father what a horrible person he was. But I suspect that might come in the next series: The Summer Harbor series. Talking of which, it was also lovely being introduced to some of the characters in the series to come. 

Overall, a lovely story of second chances, resting in God's very own healing power even when overcoming abuse and trusting in His guidance. 

I absolutely loved and enjoyed this book. It gets all my votes. And I would definitely recommend it to anyone. 


I received a free copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers® (Thomas Nelson) in exchange for an honest review. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow I love this book just from reading your summary of it. So lovely!

    www.deargodiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review!!! I love this series but still haven't read this one yet. Your review makes me want to run and grab it NOW. :) Thanks so much for sharing, and reminding me why I love these books! :)

    ReplyDelete