Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Because It Was Real" - HOBBIT talk is real talk for 2014


I'm a huge huge fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Big Sis and I watch and rewatch it every year. Yup, that's right. This summer we put off the lights, brought down the blinds made some good food and sat through Peter Jackson's first two The Hobbit movies. By the end of it all, we were worn out emotionally and then waited months and months and months and months for the last of the trilogy: The Battle of the Five Armies. Ok, I exaggerate, we waited about three months but it seemed like forever!

To cut a long story short, last week was the day. I sat in my chair all giddy and waited in anticipation. The movie did not disappoint. And that is an understatement. BUT this is NOT a movie review. Nope. It's one of those end of the year posts that are all over the blogosphere around this time of year. 

This post was inspired from a dialogue in The Battle of the Five Armies that really struck me. A dialogue I will probably never forget. It went something like this:  

Character n°1: If this is love, I don't want it. Take it away, please. Why does it hurt so much?"
Character n°2: Because it was real. 

How many times have I asked myself that same question? 

Why? Why does it hurt so much? When will it stop? Why am I hurting? When will I get a break?

If I'm completely honest with myself, I'll admit I even asked myself those same questions only this morning. But as I thought this post over and over, I felt a certain peace as the Lord enabled me to understand a number of things. 

Friend, you might be hurting today. Hurting from rejection, broken dreams, heartache, lost hope, a broken heart...whatever it is. It hurts because your pain is real. Your pain is real because your struggle was real. But it doesn't end there. Because if your struggle is real...then so is your victory. 

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33 ESV

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us". Romans 8:37 ESV.


Looking back through 2014, I've had some amazing moments, unbelievably awesome moments and moments I couldn't live long enough to thank my God for. But I've also hurt. When I look back, I am not the same person, and through Him, my pain has made me stronger. It is real and I refuse to pretend it isn't. But my victory is just as real. And from my victory comes a testimony.

Mandisa says it like this in her song, "What scars are for":
They teach me that  my brokenness
Is something You can use
They show me where I've been and
That I'm not there any more
That's what scares, that's what scars are for


This week, I thought about a "mistake" I'd made in the past and how I couldn't go back to change it. But then I came across this somewhere: "God doesn't care about the mistakes you've made". He knows you more than you know you. He knows what your weaknesses are. A mistake you made sometime in the past is not going to stop Him from doing what He plans on doing in your life. Hey, He's great at turning things around. So don't give up on you. If He won't, why should you?


And if you still don't believe me, here are lyrics from the classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:
For every big mistake you make, be grateful!
Here, here!
That mistake you'll never make again!
No sir!
Every shiny dream that fades and dies,
Generates the steam for two more tries!


So DO NOT walk out of 2014 and into 2015 feeling beaten down, defeated, rejected, unloved or alone. No siree! Yes, you might be broken. But I serve a God who turns our broken into beautiful, no matter how long you might think its taking. The mess might be real and the pain as well. But hey, you are stronger than you think. You're more than a conqueror. Walk into 2015 knowing that. 

Wishing you a wonderful New Year Friend. God's got nothing but His best reserved for you for 2015. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I went to see it as well and I had the same giddy anticipation. It was so good!!!
    We all thought Character n# 1 would die; so glad it didn't happen! Even if... well, you know. :P :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elisabeth! I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

      I know, right??? It'd been so so long since I read the book so I couldn't remember much from it. So there were quite a couple of surprises. I was at the edge of my seat all through. Tragic in some respects but still a great story and a nice film adaptation. The movie was so enjoyable someone (who wasn't very familiar with the LOTR) actually asked me if there would be a part 4 and I was like "watch the Lord of the Lords" :)

      Delete