Sunday, October 12, 2014

Memory Verse: An Everlasting Love (+ Happy Sunday!)

Happy Sunday Fam!



I'm back with the weekly memory verses. 

Today as the Pastor preached from the pulpit with great enthusiasm and passion about God's love and His willingness to give us another chance in spite of our past mistakes, I sat listening, thinking on his words. But it wasn't until the Pastor mentioned Jeremiah 31:3 and read it out that I felt a little something shift in place. I read and reread the words on the overhead projector and just stared. The words started to sink in. It all started to sink in. And my heart swelled with gratitude, relief, joy and gratitude all over again,

Long ago the Lord said to Israel:

“I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love.
    With unfailing love I have drawn you to myself.
Jeremiah 31:3 NLT

Aren't they beautiful words?

Not only are you and I loved, but He loves us with an everlasting love!
Not only does He love us, but He purposely draws us to Himself!

When we drift, when we take the wrong turn or make a whole bunch of wrong decisions, He doesn't leave us in our mistake. He doesn't leave us to figure things out for ourselves. Instead, He draws us to Himself. Just like He did with Adam and Eve in the garden when He initiated conversation by asking "Where are you?". He clothed both Adam and Eve in spite of their sin. When Cain was upset after offering up a less acceptable offering than Abel, God initiated the conversation by asking "why are you angry?". And there are many more examples in scripture.

He doesn't have to. But He loves us. And because he loves us, He draws us to himself.

Everlasting means forever. It means unfailingly, unshakably, unwaveringly. It's a 'you can't get rid of me'-'I ain't giving up on you'-'I'm not going anywhere' sort of love. Everlasting doesn't depend on anything you do. Everlasting isn't moved by the times you mess up. It's not based on merits. Everlasting is unconditional.


What was your Sunday like? And what did you learn in church? Will you join in and memorize Jeremiah 31:3? 

4 comments: