Sunday, June 1, 2014

Detours.... + PIctures!


I was running late. On a Sunday morning. Something I can't stand. Well, the good thing about being in the Netherlands is that I bike nearly everywhere. And when I'm running late, like the Dutch, I bike at full speed and manage to get to my destination whole (all thanks to God) and in record time. On this particular day, the last thing I needed was a road block. Yes, a road block. Due to some road construction thing. You'd think they'd know that this was my usual route to church!

I sighed heavily, looked up to the bright blue sky and thought "WHY???" A little dramatic, I know. 
Anyways, the solution was - and bear with me as I try to explain this -  to bike on the other side of the row of buildings that lined the street. I grunted, directed my bike sideways and made it to the other side of the buildings. I looked up and the sight before me made me catch my breath and left my mouth hanging. It was beautiful. My frustration vanished. And I looked up at the cloudless bright sky and smiled, as if making sure my heavenly Daddy saw me do so. 

I learnt a lesson that day and thanked God for that annoying road block. That unexpected view was well worth it. Sure, I had to take a little detour but it made me slow down and refocus

You see, sometimes God makes us take a detour. Things don't go the way we "planned" it or the way we expected. We come across road blocks that seem to delay our arrival to our destination. This might consist in finishing a degree later than expected, having to do smaller jobs instead of your "dream job", not being married at your preferred age, finding yourself having to {fill in the blank with something you have to do} instead of {fill in the blank with something you would rather be doing}.

Still don't know what I'm talking about? Well, here's a definition I found on the web:

the act of going or traveling to a place along a way that is different from the usual or planned way. 

A detour doesn't even have to take longer. It's just plain annoying because you probably weren't expecting it and you'd rather go the route you had "planned". And because detours are so annoying, we usually have a negative attitude towards them (just like my dramatic self). Sometimes our attitudes even stink...so much that we miss the beautiful.   

Friend, let me remind you of this:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV. 

Of course God knows what we want (or what we think we want), but he also knows what we need. Sometimes what we need is to slow down and breathe (that was definitely me on that Sunday), we might need our focus to be turned back on our Creator. What we might need might be strength and encouragement. Or we might need to learn perseverance or even humility. Whatever the case, God knows what exactly we need and when He takes us through a detour, it is part of His greater purpose for us. 

Mandy Hale says it like this in her book I've Never Been to Vegas But My Luggage Has, "It all matters. Nothing, no matter how small or insignificant, happens to you without serving a greater purpose. Call it synchronicity or fate, or as I call it, divine order; every moment of your life pushes you toward your greater calling". 

So where ever you may find yourself, when things are not going the way you planned it and you find you have to take a detour, remember that God is the Master Planner who loves you and knows what He's doing. Enjoy the beautiful during your detour (even if you have to look for it). Friend, slow down and focus on Jesus. 

Well, I got to church smiling that Sunday. It didn't matter that I'd been running late. It didn't matter that I couldn't go my usual route. All I thought about was this beautiful sight on such a lovely Sunday morning:

Picture taken while biking (so bear with me). Yup, I am falsely dutch that way. 
I didn't get it on camera but to the right is a pretty awesome windmill. I know, right? How cool is that?


I'm glad to say that the then "detour" is now my normal route. Wouldn't have it any other way. Funny how that works, right?


And...because I'm in a sharing mood (and I haven't really shared much from my awesome exchange to the Netherlands), here are other pictures taken that same day (after church):





I'm getting good at these biking selfies. 


So take a deep breath during your detour. Relax, God's got this. 

Have a wonderful week ahead!
Titi Funto

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!

    This is so true TIti! I am truly inspired and challenged. We all need this. Too often do we get stuck up in OU world we fail to see the BEAUTIFUL around. We are like ostriches with our heads buried in our lowly lives.
    I am blessed!
    God bless you for sharing!


    theofficialDATFUNKYFRO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear! Your comment blessed me! I don't want to be an ostrich!! Lol. God bless you Sis!

      Delete