Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Review: Get Lost (Your guide to finding true love) by Dannah Gresh



Today I'm reviewing "Get Lost" by Dannah Gresh
 
 
15798308
 
I'm not great with non-fiction but this book got my attention from the very start. The first chapter is entitled: "God. Guys. And the Great Mix-up". Tell me, how does that not grab your attention.
 
I love how real Dannah is and how she shares from her own experience. She even shares pieces of her journal from when she was younger and responses she got from people when she asked them for their input.
 
The book's an easy read and written in a conversational sort of way. You feel like you're sitting with Dannah having a cup of hot cocoa in your living room as you read.  
 
Some of my favorite quotes include:
 
"I can never be satisfied with any man until I completely submit to my Lord!" (from a journal entry).
"When we are craving for a guy, it means we actually need God. Simple as that"
"If you grasp at love in the shape of a guy - even a wonderful one - you'll experience the Violent Craving without relief"
"See, we don't consume what we crave...we crave what we continually consume"
"Marriage as God designed it is a picture of our romance with Him. It's not meant to replace the real thing, of course, only to represent it"
 
Anyway, you get the idea. There are a lot of great quotes in the book.
 
I also like how Dannah pointed out the fact that "fasting from guys without feeding your true need for love" is not an adequate cure.  
 
The book got a little confusing for me at one point though. I think it would've helped if Dannah Gresh better defined and explained her terms.
 
For example she states "please don't fall in love", an interpretation to the Songs of Solomon 2:7. The statement is then repeated several times while giving examples of people who fell in love in the Bible and the negative outcome of it.
 
The whole thing left me scratching my head and wondering "what?" When I continued reading, however, I realized what Dannah meant by "falling in love" was something completely based on physical attraction. She says "Attraction will exist, but it cannot be where you begin true love. Further on she refers to falling in love as "explosive attraction".
 
I think the root of confusion sprung from the fact that my definition for "falling in love" does not consist of "explosive attraction" as she put it, (which sounds something closer to lust).
 
Overall a good book that I would recommend to ladies of all ages (whether married or not). It's a great reminder that we need to get lost in God and that only He can fill any void. Not another human being, our dreams, goals...etc. For young teens, maybe it would be a good idea to have someone a little older go through the book with them.

I received a free copy of this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. 
 
 Blessings,
 
Titi Funto

No comments:

Post a Comment