Monday, September 2, 2013

Very enjoyable read! Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter


Hey there lovelies!
Today I'm reviewing Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter.



Back cover summary

Madison’s heart has been closed for years. But one summer can change everything.
In the years since her twin brother’s drowning, Madison McKinley has struggled to put it behind her. Despite the support of her close-knit family and her gratifying job as a veterinarian in their riverside town, the loss still haunts her.
To find closure, Madison sets out to fulfill her brother’s dream of winning the town’s annual regatta. But first she has to learn to sail, and fast.
Beckett O’Reilly knows Madison is out of his league, but someone neglected to tell his heart. Now she needs his help—and he’ll give it, because he owes her far more than she’ll ever know.
Madison will do anything—even work with the infamous Beckett O’Reilly—to reach her goal. And as much as she’d like to deny it, the chemistry between them is electrifying. As summer wanes, her feelings for him grow and a fledgling faith takes root in her heart.
But Beckett harbors a secret that will test the limits of their new love. Can their romance survive summer’s challenges? And will achieving her brother’s dream give Madison the peace she desperately seeks? 



Why I would pick this book up again
I loved how nothing about this book was predictable. Little surprises kept popping up and I couldn't but keep reading. And oh, the flashbacks! I really looked forward to those. Apart from the story itself, I especially liked the way it was written (the words the author used and the images they evoked).You know you loved a book when you finish it within a day :)


Characters:
The characters were very lovable and none of them got on my nerves at any point. I loved the McKinley family and the relationship between the kids. I liked the character of Madison, especially her determination and her tender relationship with the elderly. And then there was Beckett...how can any one not like Beckett?
  

Spirituality:
I was encouraged by how Beckett took his faith seriously and enjoyed reading Madison's spiritual journey.  
Favorite phrase/passage from the book:
Madison's mother says: "But God does not owe us ninety years on this earth [...] We go through life thinking we're entitled to our ninety, but we're not entitled to anything. All we can do is trust that He knows what He's doing.That He has a plan for all of us..."
What I didn't like
I didn't like not knowing the mystery behind Jade. That's all I can say without spoiling it. But the sequel will be about Jade so hopefully, we'll know more about her :)
Why I recommend this book
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. It's a book that deals subtly with the themes of healing, learning to move on, and not letting ourselves be defined by our past or background. It is definitely a page turner that will make you laugh at moments and reflect at others.
I received a free copy of this book from BookSneeze® (Thomas Nelson) in exchange for an honest review. 

Have you read this book? If so, what did you like/not like? If not, would you?

2 comments:

  1. I've read this one, Funto and REALLY liked it. The book was a profound, very emotional read and Denise did a terrific job telling the story.

    If past experiences are an indicator, book two will reveal all the answers of Jade's past. Way to tease us, Denise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Rissi! Denis Hunter did a great job with the book. I am definitely looking forward to book 2. I really want to know more about Daniel (and Jade too of course).

      Delete