Friday, March 8, 2013

Friends of the God-crazy and enthusiastic variety

 
 
I read in a devotional that: "A friend is one who strengthens you with prayers, blesses you with love and encourages you with hope" (~Anonymous).
 
 
 
 
I came across this picture on tumblr and it completely got my attention. Truth be told, I love this picture for several reasons. All of which evolve around the word FRIENDS.
 
 
I often thank God for the friends I have. The people I spend most of my time with. I love my friends. God has taught me a lot through them and they are a constant display of love and generosity. I love our honest heart-to-heart. I love our fun jokes and the times we spend worrying about the present and looking to the future. I enjoy our dinner dates at each other's homes (most of my friends are amazing cooks). I enjoy our phone/whatsapp conversations. I enjoy when we tease each other and joke about like silly children. I know I am blessed with great friends. And I am also challenged by every effort, time and love they pour into our friendship.
 
 
But when I came across this photo about a month ago, something tugged at my spirit and I suddenly felt unsettled. You see, my closest friends are not practising Christians. And when I think about the days that are/will be most important to me, I would want them to be there...lifting me up in prayer. Let's take my wedding day for example, like in this picutre, I would love to have Christian God-crazy friends - my girlfriends in God - around me who will not hesitate to go down on their knees for me and pray with me. But how great it would be also, if my closest friends would have come to know God and could do that with me? That would be sweeeet!
 
 
The closest my friends and I came to this picture, was when we were having dinner at one of our friends house and before we started I said I would bless my food. Another friend spoke up and said, why don't I bless all the food (and not just my own), she even suggested we hold hands. And so...we held hands around the table as I prayed.
 
 
When I came across this picture, I started praying to God that He provide the friends of the Christian and God-crazy type. But also, I pray that my friends would come to know God.
 
 
He is an awesome faithful God that answers prayers.
 
 
In the mean time, I'll be that Chirstian God-crazy friend - that girlfriend in God. Maybe one day my friends will join me. Maybe one day I'll meet other Christians of the God-crazy and enthusiastic variety.
 
 
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Proverbs 27:17
 
 
Do you pray for your non-Christian friends (and even family members)? Do you worry about having Christian friends that can strengthen you with prayers during those moments in life that matter most?

4 comments:

  1. I have a close friend that came from a Muslim background. I'd always hope she could be a follower of Christ. Earlier this year, she became one!! It wasn't forced, but came from the willingness of her heart. I'm so grateful for her life.

    Continue to lift up your friends in prayer. Prayer works! :-)

    I also hope to have my friends, sisters and mom, gather and pray for me, on my wedding day, like the ladies did in the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a great encouraging testimony! Definitely by God's grace my family will be there too of course. I'll keep praying for my friends :)

      Delete
  2. This picture is so beautful, I pray that God blesses every women with friends that can stand in the gap for them and pray with and for them not only in the good times but in the bad as well! God is well able :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!!!! It is indeed a beautiful picture! Thanks for the comment Cindy!

      Delete