Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Voice Bible - Review

Hey Beauties!
 
 
I'm sure you've all heard about the new Bible translation called The Voice. If not, no worries, I'll tell you what I think about it. I actually first heard about this translation from my Pastor. He repeatedly mentioned how much he liked it. I heard others talking about it so, wondering what all the hype was about, I decided to review the e-version.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Book Description
 
The Voice™ is a faithful dynamic equivalent translation that reads like a story with all the truth and wisdom of God's Word. Through compelling narratives, poetry, and teaching, The Voice invites readers to enter into the whole story of God with their heart, soul, and mind, enabling them to hear God speaking and to experience His presence in their lives. Through a collaboration of more than 120 biblical scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets, and artists, The Voice recaptures the passion, grit, humor, and beauty that is often lost in the translation process. The result is a retelling of the story of the Bible in a form as fluid as modern literary works, yet remaining painstakingly true to the original manuscripts.
 
 
 
What I think
Like I mentioned, I chose to review this translation to see what all the hype was about. I'm the kind of person that has a hard time reading the bible in one translation. If there's a verse I don't fully understand, I have to look it up in several translations. Or if there's a verse I love, I enjoy looking it up in other translations.
 
 
As I read The Voice, I have to say that it felt like reading the Bible for the first time in a long time.
I actually enjoyed reading the Bible in this translation although at first it took a little getting used to.
It basically reads like a story.
 
 
Firstly, part of the Bible is related in the present tense. Secondly, dialogue is written as screenplay (so you don't have the word "said". Just the name of who's speaking, two points and then what they say).
 
 
Genesis 1:1 reads like this:
 
"In the beginning, God created everything: the heavens above and the earth below. Here's what happened:"
 
 
The e-version of this translation also comes with some cool features. You have a nice introduction at the beginning of every book. There's also information on how to use the translation. There's a page on "the new covenant", "the titles of Jesus", "Special helps for stepping into the story of scripture" and "four ways to step into the story of scripture" just to name a few. There's also a church calendar and readings for specific times of the year. There're scriptures to read and instructions for "a 40-day retreat with Jesus". It also contains a daily reading plan (for a period of 3 years). I especially like the topical guide to the Scripture and the reference notes.
 
 
While I like this Bible translation a lot, I personally believe it is best as a reference Bible and not your "main" reading Bible.  
 
 
 
I received a free copy of this book from BookSneeze® (Thomas Nelson) in exchange for an honest review.
 
 
P.S: You can find an app on the apple store containing the New Testament version of the translation. Just type in "The Voice Bible" in the search engine.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great review. I have never heard of this Bible translation, so thank you for introducing it to me! I agree with you, I think it will be nice as a reference Bible. I like the 3 year Bible plan; that is a great feature I might look into in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's still quite a new translation. I forgot to mention, the app (containing only the New Testament) is available on the apple store.
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. I like Funmi haven't heard of this translation but I am grateful for your honest review. ////thanks /funto!

    ReplyDelete