Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Book Review: Tidewater Inn (by Colleen Coble)

Hey beauties!

Today I'm reviewing:

Tidewater Inn: A Hope Beach Novel by Colleen Coble


 

Back cover summary


Welcome to Hope Beach. A place of intoxicating beauty . . . where trouble hits with the force of a hurricane.


Inheriting a beautiful old hotel on the Outer Banks could be a dream come true for Libby. The inn cries out for her restorer’s talent and love of history. She’s delighted to learn of the family she never knew she had. And the handsome Coast Guard lieutenant she’s met there on the island could definitely be the man of her dreams.

But Libby soon realizes that the only way she can afford the upkeep on the inn is to sell it to developers who are stalking the island. The father who willed her the inn has died before she could meet him, and her newfound brother and sister are convinced she’s there to steal their birthright. Worst of all, her best friend and business partner has been kidnapped before her eyes, and Libby’s under suspicion for the crime.

Libby’s dream come true is becoming a nightmare. Her only option is to find her friend and prove her innocence, or lose everything on the shores of Hope Island.


Why I would pick this book up again


The book has quite a couple mysteries (right from the beginning and things that kept popping up) that kept you wanting to know what would happen next. The romance was sweet but I would say it definitely could have been better. Overall, the storyline was nice.

Characters:
The storyline is great like I mentioned but the characters really do not do it justice. I felt like they were lifeless. We barely know much about them but that's not the issue. What bothered me was their lack of emotion. For example, Libby's best friend gets kidnapped before her very eyes, she finds out she has siblings she never heard of, she's suspected for murder...etc. These are all events that should generate great emotion but the characters react and talk about them issues in such an unrealistic near to blasé way. It bothered me.
My favorite character was Bree.
Spirituality:
Libby makes a decision (through her father's prompting) to live each moment asking herself "what would Jesus do?" She tries hard at it. It was encouraging to be reminded of this. I also like the fact that Alec never hesitated to pray with her. He took His faith seriously which was pretty cool.
Favorite phrase/passage from the book:
I like the passage where Alec, the Coast Guard lieutenant, naturally asks Libby if she's "game". You have to read the book to know what I'm talking about. I also liked the bit where Josh and Curtis tease Alec.
Favorite verse:
 Although I don't remember a specific verse being mentioned to this effect, I liked how generosity (especially relating to Libby's father) was a theme.
What I didn't like
As mentioned, the characters' unrealistic response to numerous situations. They lacked life.
Why I recommend this book
If you like a good mystery novel, then this book's for you. The "villain" was hard to work out.


I received a free copy of this book from BookSneeze® (Thomas Nelson) in exchange for an honest review.
Have you read this book? If so, what do you think? If not, would you like to and why?
GOD BLESS
Oh and remember, books are great and all BUT nothing compares to the Bible! Continue to dig deep in the Word!

2 comments:

  1. I like your review. From your description and analysis, I would like to read the book. I like the fact that one of the character, Libby used the phrase "what would Jesus do" to live her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Yes! It's quite a nice read! Not my favorite but I would definitely recommend it. You'll enjoy it.

      Delete