Sunday, September 9, 2012

Book Review: Stand By Me by Neta Jackson


Hey beauties!
 
 
Here I am with another book review!
 
 
Stand By Me by Neta Jackson
 
 
 
Back cover summary
 
Sometimes the person you most need is the one least like you.
 
Kathryn Davies is a bright young woman from a prominent Phoenix family. But after making a leap of faith at a Christian music fest, dropping out of med school, and moving to inner city Chicago, her family has all but disowned her. Kat’s enthusiasm for her newfound faith tempers the sting of their rejection.
 
When Kat discovers SouledOut Community Church, she longs to become a part of the multi-cultural church family. But her tendency to say whatever she’s thinking and her eccentric ways step on the toes of nearly everyone she meets—especially Avis Douglass, a woman she admires but who seems distant.
 
Avis is known for her mature faith and her reliance on listening to God more than people. Married to a kind and successful businessman, she is the principal of one of Chicago’s highest performing elementary schools, and a founding and active member of SouledOut. But the country’s economic downturn has thrown both her and her husband’s jobs in question. And Avis hasn’t heard from her youngest daughter in months—an estrangement that gnaws at her every day. Where is God in all this?
 
Kat’s flamboyant zeal for living a “radical” Christian life is a stark contrast to Avis’s quiet crisis of faith. But in God’s own mysterious ways, the two women discover they need each other in ways neither of them expected.
 
 
Why I would pick this book up again
 
Quite honestly, I'm one of those people who like their books with a little bit of romance in it and for some reason, the back cover summary of Stand By Me still got my attention. Despite the lack of romance, I still absolutely enjoyed this book. And it's the first Christian fiction I've read with near to zero romance. It's also the first book I've read where the main character is past fifty. And yes, it got me in tears at one point.

Characters:
I found Kat Davies to be quite an annoying character but I think this is due to her over enthusiasm and ignorance. Her heart is admirable though. Avis is easier to like. And her struggles and the way she responds to them are real. My favorite character though, was Kat's best friend, Nick.
 
Spirituality:
Avis deals with quite a number of things and she responds most of the time with scripture. I loved reading up on the scripture she read. It was a great encouragement.
 
Favorite phrase/passage from the book:
The only romantic scene (concerning Kat) made my heart melt. There is beauty in simplicity.
 
Favorite verse:
God really spoke to me through Psalm 56 that comes up about twice in the book.
 
"When I am afraid, I will trust you. I praise God for his word. I trust God, so I am not afraid. What can human beings do to me?" Psalm 56:3-4 NCV
 
What I didn't like
 
At the end, I slightly felt like the author leaves you hanging about one or two tiny issues but I believe this is because the book is the first in a series.
 
Why I recommend this book
 
I enjoyed the way the author adds different cultures to this novel. It takes you to a multicultural community and the love and challenges that are present. It is a book that encourages loving and being patient with that one person that you might not like or that you might think is an intruder in your "picture".
 
 
 

I received a free copy of this book from BookSneeze® (Thomas Nelson) in exchange for an honest review.
 
 
 
Have you read this book? If so, what do you think? If not, would you like to and why?
 
GOD BLESS and have a wonderful week!
 
Oh and remember, books are great and all BUT nothing compares to the Bible! Continue to dig deep in the Word!
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Funto,

    Found your blog through a link you left Rad Revolution. Love your book reviews and this book in particular sounds very interesting. I don't think I've ever read a book where the main characters was over fifty. I definitely need to branch out in my reading! :) Thanks for posting such a great book review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debra! Thanks for stopping by! Aww..I'm glad you like the reviews. This one was definitely a out-of-the-comfort-zone kind of reading. But it was worth it. It's great for people of all ages! Thanks for the encouraging words!

    Much love, Funto

    ReplyDelete