Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Review: Wildflowers From Winter by Katie Ganshert

Hey beauties!



Here I am with my latest book review. A review of:


Wildflowers From Winter



Back cover summary



A young architect at a prestigious Chicago firm, Bethany Quinn has built a life far removed from her trailer park teen years. Until an interruption from her estranged mother reveals that tragedy has struck in her hometown and a reluctant Bethany is called back to rural Iowa. Determined to pay her respects while avoiding any emotional entanglements, she vows not to stay long. But the unexpected inheritance of farmland and a startling turn of events in Chicago forces Bethany to come up with a new plan.

Handsome farmhand Evan Price has taken care of the Quinn farm for years. So when Bethany is left the land, he must fight her decisions to realize his dreams. But even as he disagrees with Bethany's vision, Evan feels drawn to her and the pain she keeps so carefully locked away.

For Bethany, making peace with her past and the God of her childhood doesn't seem like the path to freedom. Is letting go the only way to new life, love and a peace she's not even sure exists?

Why I would pick this book up again

This is yet another book that I absolutely loved! It is definitely going on the top of my 2012 list (it released in May 2012). This nook is a definite MUST READ! To be quite honest, something about the back cover summary (the blurb) put me off at first but I went ahead and decided to read it and boy, am I glad I did. I loved it so much I read it in less than 48 hours! And yes, I cried at some point.





The characters:

The two main characters are Bethany Quinn and Evan Price, both of which are quite complex. To be completely honest, Bethany did annoy a couple of times at the beginning, but it was an annoyance that made me want to know her and understand her more - something which the author (Katie Ganshert) makes sure happens. Bethany ends up quite a likeable character and although I did not agree with some of her decisions I could try and understand them.

Evan is quite the easy-to-fall-in-love-with character. Though also complex, he is quite real.

Another character is Robin. The reader can only sympathize with this particular character and actually want to hold her at certain points or even pray with her.

I do feel a need to mention who my favorite character was however and I have to say it was Gavin (Evan's little brother). If you've read the book you'd probably be surprised seeing as Gavin was a minor character for quite a bit. I particularly liked his care-free spirit and his sense of humour.

Spirituality:

This is another aspect where Katie Ganshert gets a thumbs up. Most of the characters are believers but believers who have had a period in time where they were angry at God and had to rededicate themselves. Other characters are asking God questions in the present tense and learn to lean and trust in Him.

Bethany's spiritual journey is quite interesting. And I think Katie Ganshert touches on a very delicate yet relevant matter with the whole Pastor Fenton character. The author touches on the subject of wolves in sheep's clothing that exist even in churches: people that claim to do God's work yet twist the Gospel (knowingly or unknowingly) in a way that they end up not preaching about the One True God.


Writing:

Katie Ganshert plays with points of views in this novel which is something I love to do myself and enjoy reading in novels (the same was done in Stuck In The Middle).

What I didn't expect was the switch from the third person to the first person perspective. It's the first time I've seen this done and it worked very well.

Overall, a well-written novel. Not at all predictable.

 


My favorite phrase or passage from the book:


Man, I liked several, I must say. But If I have to pick one of the first passages that come to mind, it would be when Bethany is asked to deliver Evan's birthday cake. And also the barbecue scene where Gavin teases his older brother who is simply burning with jealousy.

A particular phrase I liked is when Evan says that God doesn't usually wait for us to be ready before He has His way.


Favorite verse mentioned in the book:

Jeremiah 29:11- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Why I recommend this book

This book deals with quite a number of topics, loss being one of them. But don't let that put you off. A number of events unfold in this novel in such a way that it reveals that at the end of the day, God has the final say. No matter what we may try and run from or how we may try and perfectly plan out our lives. At the end of the day, GOD WILL HAVE HIS WAY and we should LET HIM! He knows better than we do and He will probably use the most unlikely path to bless us. He is an awesome God and He does things His own way.

Remember,
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. (Jeremiah 55:8 NIV).


Another important lesson is that, while weeping may endure for the night, joy comes in the morning! And sometimes we go through seasons in life, one season may be necessary in order to reach the next.

While Stuck In The Middle was an easy read (you laugh quite a bit), this one is a lot more serious. I appreciate both.  

Oh and the romance is quite sweet ;) I liked that you had to WAIT for it.


About the author


Katie Ganshert was born and raised in the Midwest, where she writes stories about finding faith and falling in love. When she’s not busy plotting her next novel, she enjoys watching romantic movies with her husband, playing make-believe with her wild-child of a son, and chatting with her girlfriends over bagels and coffee. She could talk books all day and is often spotted around town pushing a stroller, walking a dog, and reading—all at the same time. Visit her website: KatieGanshert.com.


I received a free copy of this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review.


Head over to Amazon to vote for my review.


Have you read this book? If so, what do you think? If not, would you like to and why?

GOD BLESS and have a wonderful day!

Oh and remember, books are great and all BUT nothing compares to the Bible! Continue to dig deep in the Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment