Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Once Every Four Years Thing!

Happy LEAP DAY Lovlies!


It took me a while to realize it. I'd written down the two numbers in the early hours of the day, but it hadn't sunk in. The two and the nine side by side didn't seem to ring a bell. So, it's the 29th, so what? With a cheerful heart filled with gratitude, I started my day thanking The Most High for the beautiful sunrise...The sun settling high up in it's domain, illuminating my world. Oh, what a beautiful day it was!




Well, it finally hit! Leap year! LEAP DAY! Not just any 29th but the 29th of February!!! Duh!!! The Once-Every-Four-Years thing. Leap day. Man, it really got me thinking and my cheerful gratitude-filled heart seemed to swell like a sponge as it soaked in more gratitude. I thought, my God I love you! I thought back and tried to remember exactly what I would've been up to exactly four years from now and could not believe just how much time had flown by! I thought to myself "oh wow". Those years back, I was an eager God-crazy 16 year old, maybe a little naive, as much a dreamer as I am now, preoccupied by some of the irrelevant but having already gotten a dose of the medcine called "life". Oh boy, it seems just like yesterday. And it really does make me smile.



While having a conversation with a couple of friends today about Disney - completely random conversation...lol - one of my girl friends laughs and shares one of her craziest dreams. Speaking with a glow in her eyes and with enthusiasm only known to those who have the liberty to once in a while live in the clouds, she said "man, I feel so old! A crazy dream of mine would be that the authorities would call me up one day and be like 'sorry, we made a huge mistake concerning your official documents, you're not 23. You're actually really 16' that would just be so cool!" she exclaimed. The rest of us paused for a second - looking at her funny - until we finally laughed, nodded and told her we knew what she meant. But did we really? She meant she would love to be that age again, live those years over. And this really got me thinking. The thing is, WE ONLY GET ONE CHANCE. A chance at life. Each day is lived once, each heartbeat different from the last.  And as banal as the saying may be, time really does fly. As I sit here right now, going through old pictures of 16 year old me...I see time soaring past, spreading out it's wings...reaching for the unknown. My friend, time flies.


I share the pictures with my big Sis and we cannot but LAUGH! I think to myself, so much has changed since then. It seems like yesterday YET it seems so far away. A yesterday my mind goes back to but a past I can never grasp in the palms of my hands. Oh to be 16 again! But that time is GONE, I've had my chance and all that's left to do now is look forward to the next four years. Look forward to where God will have me be by 2016's leap day. I live my life with no regrets. And looking back, I'm grateful to my Heavenly Daddy, because I'm able to say "I LIVED". Oh don't get me wrong, there were times when I fell, when life seemed to leave a bitter taste in my mouth, there were times I hugged my knees to my chest looking up to my one and only Helper...but despite of all of that, my ever-loving Prince - the Prince of peace- rescued me setting me back firmly on my feet, clearing the dust from off my shoulders, drawing me close until I was ready to continue on the journey called "life". I have no regrets and today, I am determined to keep it that way.


Daughter of Zion, Son of the Most High, hear me when I say you only get to live each day ONCE. You've heard it before but take time to think about it today. What do you dream of doing? What is keeping you from doing it? Are you the 'you' you've always dreamt of being? Are you the child you ought to be towards God?


As mentioned in one of Kirk Franklin's songs "It's so easy to complain but complaining don't make a change". You can moan and groan about life all you want but remember this truth:


"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28 NIV).


My God's working on your behalf. He had your back yesterday, He's got your back today and He'll have your back tomorrow.


Friend, what are you afraid of? LIVE YOUR LIFE the way God would have you live it. If the world will call you crazy, let them! If they will call you a freak, smile! At least you'll be living. Truth is, it's YOUR life, please don't stumble through it, do not let it pass you by.


I also ran into a high school friend I hadn't seen in a LONG time today and we both went down memory lane, reminiscing. Those lazy laid back teenage years where the main topic of conversation seemed to all things silly, replayed before our eyes like a black and white movie. We sat laughing, those teenage years calling back to us, pulling us into a nostalgic dream that enabled me to relate with my girl who'd said she wished she could go back to 16.


"Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-16 NIV).


 
With all that being said, I emphasize and strain the fact that YESTERDAY's GONE. Don't live in the past. Look to the future. With the Creator of the universe - the Author and the Finisher - on your side, what a future it will be! And yes, friend, I do rejoice! A joy indescribable fills my being as I think of 24 year old me looking back at 2012's pictures...reading this post. And I think gratitude is an understatement to what I feel right now towards my God. Oh and what a GREAT GOD He is!


Praying you had a lovely leap day, believing you'll have a wonderful new month filled with, 

Power, Love and A Sound Mind


Much much love!

FunTó

No comments:

Post a Comment