Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Resolution?

Happy New Year's Eve!!!


Hey there everyone!!!

 2011-year-resolution


I pray you're all doing wonderfully and that you all had a great Christmas. I know mine was good :)

Alright so the New Year's just hours away and here I am doing that which I deem necessary. I've had this talk with a couple of people so I thought I'd somewhat share my thoughts on the topic with the world.

So, what is the topic??

New Year's Resolutions!!!

Like I said, I've had the "do you make New Year's Resolutions?" talk with a couple of people and I've heard different responses.

So most people told me "no". They just do not bother. As in, what's the point??? Someone in particular told me, why come up with a resolution when I can change something about me, any time of the year?

Alright, and then there are those who told me they do have resolutions but they just don't bother to follow it up.

And then there are people like myself who really do come up with resolutions and try very hard to follow it up through the year.

I'm not saying one view is better than the other. It really truly depends on YOU!

But there is one thing I heard which goes along the lines of "to fail to plan is to plan to fail".

Writing resolutions is something I grew up doing. It was a tradition my parents made my sister and I do when we were little. They would never read our resolutions but they made us promise we would work on them. So, I basically grew up with it. And I'm pretty glad I did.

So, for all those who do think it helps to write out a resolution, here a little advise to help you achieve some of your 2012 resolutions:

1)      Don't set unrealistic goals! Yeah, you heard me! I mean, you might want to achieve it all, but c’mon, be realistic. Unrealistic goals are hardly ever met and only leave room for a sense of failure and disappointment. Your New Year’s resolution is not supposed to leave you feeling sick and disgusted with yourself at the end of the year.

2)      Be precise!  For example, let’s say a resolution of yours is to be a better daughter/sister/brother or something like that. Write down specific and precise ways that can help you to be so. It helps you know what you’re really after and how to reach the goal.

3)      Don’t only make self-centered goals! I know, your resolution is about you but don’t overdo it. I mean when all you put on your resolution has “me”, “mine”, “I” and “myself” in it, it just kind of kills the joy of doing it. C’mon, you can do it. Think of at least one thing you can do for someone else in 2012. It doesn’t have to be materialistic. In fact, it shouldn’t be, it should be something you can give that money cannot necessarily buy. You can pray set it in your heart to pray for someone every morning in 2012! What better gift is there??

4)      Make fun resolutions!! I mean it! This is something I try to do each year. A resolution is not just supposed to make you feel all solemn. It could and should be fun! An example of a fun thing to put in a resolution is something one of my favorite girls said. She said something along the lines of “one of my New Year’s resolutions will be going to the spa at least once a month!” and I seconded her on that one! Isn’t that something fun you could do?

5)      Make resolutions that touch different aspects of your life! Make sure your resolution touches your spiritual life, your social life, your education and so on and so forth. It’s a great way of having a balanced resolution!

6)      Make short and long term goals. Short term goals can be really quite easy. Try not to fill your resolutions with only long term ones which are usually harder to meet. It’s encouraging to have those little short term goals that you know that by February you can tick off the list.

7)      Do NOT make a resolution for the fun of it! I feel the need to stress this! I mean it! Seriously do NOT do it, man! Just don’t do it! Haha. Look, don’t write down a bunch of things if you know you’re not ready to work on them and put an effort into it. Like I said, it just leaves an unnecessary feeling of failure and disappointment. So, don’t do it!!

8)      And the most important of all: Make a resolution about your spiritual life. Do not be content in your walk with God!! Never be content. Always seek to know Him better. Paul, who suffered so greatly for the gospel and who performed miracles in God’s name said, “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death” (Philippians 3:10). If he could say that, how much more us? You could decide to pray more, read your Bible more, seek God more…whatever the Spirit lays in your heart to do so as to draw closer to our awesome God: “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8). Let 2012 be that year where you make a little bit more effort.

9)      Consecrate your resolutions to God. Listen, we can plan all we want but if God says “no”, there isn’t anything anyone can do about it. So after making your resolutions, take it to God and ask Him to bless it. After all, the Psalmist said “unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain” (Psalm 127:1). My prayer’s that we don’t build and labor in vain.

10)   DO NOT SHOVE YOUR RESOLUTION SOMEWHERE, NEVER TO BE REVISITED! I am dead serious about this! If you’re going to do that, just don’t write one. I would advise you pick up your resolution about every 3 months and see what you’ve done and what you might’ve completely forgotten about.


So, that’s pretty much all the advice I’ve got! I hope it’s helped somebody. I will confess, I still haven’t written my resolutions for twenty-twelve out but I’ll do that right away (been giving it some thought). Or I might do it on the 1st, I mean, it’s never too late.

And I’ll be honest, there are certain things I still didn’t get to doing from this year’s resolution. No matter, the Lord has given me one more year to work on them. So, that brings me to another point: YOU ARE ONLY HUMAN. Remember that. Ask for God’s help but don’t expect to be able to do it all by yourself. Don’t come up with a thousand and one things you want to do. Use discernment!!!

Here are some funny ones! I hope this isn't us!



Alright, enough said.

I pray God helps you all with your resolutions!

What other advice could you give and what do you think about writing a resolution??

GOD BLESS!!

And, Happy 2012!!

5 comments:

  1. i like this post....interesting to know that you parents made you and your sister do it....i think i will do that with my kids....never thought kids had goals but this is an interesting thing....i'll know what my kids want....thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't make resolutions I just set goals and live my life, love God and achieve my goals one after another.. resolutions cannot hold one's life together only god can...most resolutions fail the day they are made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Matilda: Thanks hun, I'm glad u like it. Thanks for taking the time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Misslara: Thnx for dropping by. I agree, only God can hold one's life together, Please note I said it is important to take ur resolution before God. God said in Habbakuk 2:2 "Write down the vision.." therefore there is nothing wrong in writing down what u desire to do or be, bring it before God and pray about it. Proverbs 29:18 is also a reference. And also note I said it works differently for diffeent ppl. You might find resolutions don't work for u, I find they work quite well. It really depends on each person. Thnx for dropping by and sharing, it is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree sis! This list is very helpful. You are also right to point out that it works differently for everyone. May God help us all.
    By the way, the cartoons at the end got me laughing.
    Thank you for sharing.

    DatFunkyFro

    ReplyDelete